$1000 Fire Ravages Suite of Three Students in Law School Dormitory

Fire swept through a Hastings Hall suite last night and in 15 minutes reduced the room of three law students to a smoking mass of burnt woodwork and soaked furniture. Damage may amount to over $1000.

A "hit and run" smoker was probably the cause of the blaze, Deputy Chief Henry Kilfoyle claimed. An unextinguished cigarette "could have lain smoldering several hours" before spreading to some paper.

Cambridge firemen responded to the alarm at 8:50 o'clock, sending three engines and two trucks to the Law School dormitory north of Hemenway Gymnasium. Traffic on Massachusetts Avenue stood still for twenty minutes as engines assembled to fight the blaze and crowds gathered to watch.

The room, Hastings 48, is occupied by Robert M. Loeffler 3L, David H. Loeffler 3L, and Leonard L. Silverstein 3L.

Robert Loeffler left the suite at 7 o'clock and returned two hours later to find it in ashes. His brother David was reported to be at the movies with Silverstein.

Loeffler's first concern on seeing the room was whether his law notes were safe. They were found intact in a water-soaked, scorelied desk.