Twelve Parleys Will Aid Job-Hunters

Journalism Talk Is First

Looking for a job?

The Office of Student Placement, perennial career mart for footloose seniors, is ready to help the doubtful make up their minds. Beginning next Tuesday an even dozen symposiums will untangle fact front fiction in fields from engineering to the movies.

The first program will cover the subject of journalism, and will feature talks by Victor O. Jones '23 of the Hoston Globe George Weller '29 of the Chicago Daily News, and Walter Waggoner and Robert Glasgow of the New York Times and Herald Tribune respectively.

In line with the Office's policy of informing rather than directing a job applicant, these talks will merely attempt to show the possibilities of each field. The series will continue on successive weeks through advertising, public relations, movies, radio, business, teaching, engineering, publishing, medicine, labor government, law, and design.

The speakers for the talks have been lined up with an eye to covering cache vocation as thoroughly as possible. Journalism topics will be handled by men familiar with labor, sports, political and foreign reporting as well as editing, and will be moderated by William Pinkerton, head of the University News Office.

All the forum will be obtained by a member of the faculty in the field covered. Professor Dunlop, Lambie Leach Hudnut, and Merison will handle one meeting cache, while University and Massachusetts Halls will help out in the persons of Dean Bender, Vice-president Reynolds, Professor Back, and Francis Keppol '33, assistant to the Provest.

Parker Wheatley, director of the Lowell institute Broadcasting Council, will head the list of speakers at the Radio and Movie meeting.

The placement Office, founded in 1945 when the number of students requests for help in finding jobs grew extremely large, has a file of more than 240 industrial and professional leaders who might offer jobs to students. The big problem facing director John W. Teale and his assistant is finding places in smaller groups, for only the big corporations can offer training programs.

Many employers are unaware of the problem facing College graduates, for they tend to feel, as did a representative of Procter and Gamble, that "all boys at Harvard have openings in their fathers concerns." In spite of this attitude only five percent of the undergraduates expect such is future according to a poll distribued by the Office last year.

The series of conferences will run on successive Tuesdays, from next week through April 20, when, the final symposium on "Design" is scheduled for Leverett House. Weekly announcements in the CRIMSON will tell time and place for each conference.