Lamont Mourned As Great Loss to Harvard, Nation

Financier-philanthropist Thomas William Lamont '92, who died suddenly Monday night, was mourned yesterday throughout the nation. Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14, President of the Board of Overseers of which Lamont was long a member, said:

"In the death of Thomas Lamont Harvard has lost one of its most loyal sons. His advise as an Overseer was always sound, his generosity as an alumnus unbounded. As a thoughtful public citizen his country's interest often commanded his judgment, which was tempered by long experience in foreign affairs. As a Harvard man, friend, and public official, I shall miss him. His family has my deep sympathy."

Gave Huge Gifts

Lamont's major gifts to the University included the Lamont University Professorship, for which he gave more than $500,000; the Theodore Williams Richard Professorship, over $100,000; and his most recent, the rising Lamont Library, for which he donated $1,500,000.

From the time of his graduation in June, 1892, to his death last Monday, he maintained strong ties with the University both in official and unofficial capacities. He served two terms on the Board of Overseers, was co-chairman of the Executive Committee of the Endowment Fund, and served as a member of Overseers visiting committees.

For many years Lamont was Treasurer of the Class of 1892, and, entering actively into Alumni affairs, was president of the Alumni Association and the Associated Harvard Clubs.

Funeral services will be held in New York on Saturday.