Yardling, JV Hockey Squads Trim Nearby High Schools

Yardling and jayvee hockey squads edged out younger sextets from Lexington and Medford Highs on Arena ice yesterday afternoon, but not with the ease they had expected, as both games were see-saw battles not decided until late in the final periods.

Showing the effects of the exam layoffs, the freshman and jayvee sixes both were slow-starting and poorly co-ordinated, enabling their rivals to match and rematch each goal they made.

In the Yardlings 7 to 6 win, Bob DiBlasio stole the spotlight, banging in a total of four goals, three of which came in the last period. Jack Carman, traditional high scorer, was held to one tally as he began his final week with the freshman before joining the Varsity.

Main lineup changes saw Hal Marshall and DiBlasio move up to the first line with Doug Anderson, breaking up the old combination of Anderson, Carman, and JoeKittredge.

Jayvees Win, 5 to 3

The Jayvees had to come from behind to down a small but stick Medford squad 5 to 3, with George Lorring and Bill Edvarts notching goals in the final period to clinch things for the Crimson.

Both the Freshmen and Jayvees will be in action again tomorrow afternoon at the Arena, with the Yardlings meeting a strongly heralded Boston University team and the Jayvee facing Belmont High.