Crimson Skaters Rip Through Army, 7-1; Unbeaten Swimmers Cripple Navy, 50-25

Norris Slashes Local Record for the 440

There's only one undefeated Varsity in town this morning. By crushing Navy 50-25 in its own pool, the swimming team maintained winning ways in a weekend otherwise generally bleak for College sports.

The process was comparatively painless for the team, which begins to shape up now as a threat in the Eastern League struggle. Ted Norris added another feather to his well-plumed cap by cracking the Annapolis pool record for the 440, as he led teammate Larry Miner home in 4:54.5, nine-tenths of a second under the old record.

Off to a Fast Start

Things went well from the opening gun. The medley team of Tom Woods, Chuck Hoelzer, and Watkings won their race, and were followed by a Jerry Gorman-Norris sweep in the 220 freestyle. Tom Drohan edged his Navy opponent by .83 points; Hoelzer returned to the water to take his 200 breaststroke race, and a quarter mile relay team of Art Sicular, Bob Lange, Pinney, and Jim McVickor closed the fracas.

Navy salvaged three events from the slaughter. Midshipman Kanakanul, freestyler specialist for the sailors, took the 50 and 100 races.