Dean Bender on Room Rents

The Mail

February 27

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Tuesday's CRIMSON carried a news story and an editorial which have, apparently, given come students a mistaken impression about the procedure to be followed in cases of financial hardship arising from the increases in room rent which are to go into effect next year. The impression is that the AVC is to act as some kind of intermediary between students and the Dean's Office to see that "hardship cases" receive proper financial assistance.

Mr. Quisenbery assures me that this is not what the AVC had in mind, but in order to avoid any possible confusion in the minds if your readers I feel I ought to make the procedure absolutely clear.

Students who need financial help in meeting their college expenses should apply for help directly through the Dean's Office, not through the AVC. One of the major concerns of the Dean's Office is and always has been helping students to meet their individual financial problems. Responsibility for administering Scholarship, Beneficiary Aid, and Loan Funds is lodged in the Dean's Office and the Scholarship Committee and cannot be transferred to a student organization.

I appreciate the desire of AVC to help students who may find themselves in financial difficulties and welcomes any practical contribution they can make either directly to students or through this office. It should be clear, however, that we cannot permit a student organization to act as a pressure group in behalf of individual students in the allocation of University Cands.   W.J. Dender   Desu of the College.