Rockefeller Gives Salzburg $13,000; Search for Students Begins in April

Foundation Gift Fills 1948 Summer Quota

In a move unparalleled in its history, the Rockefeller Foundation yesterday poured $13,000 into the Student Council's 1948 Salzburg Seminar in American Studies, thus fulfilling the Austrian school's budgetary requirement of $30,000.

"This is the first time the Foundation has entrusted funds to a student-run organization for week in international education." Clemens Heller 2G, executive secretary of the Seminar, commented last night. "The money has arrived in a lump sum, with no strings attached."

Recent contributions from financial, educational, and artistic leaders have not only balanced the 1948 books, but have piled up $20,000 for use in 1949 and 1950, Heller announced.

'Cliffedweller Swells Fund

Among the donors was an anonymous Radcliffe student from the Class of 1948, who wrote out a check for $5000, payable on August 4, for twenty-first birthday.

Herbert Davis, president of Smith College, financier Thomas S. Lamont '21, Thomas D. Cabot '19, playwright Thornton Wilder, David Rockefeller '86, and Henry L. Shattuck '01, member of the Corporation, also have participated in the coast-to-coast support of the Seminar.

"To insure a sound financial basis for future planning," Heller and the Seminar Committee are trying to raise an additional $20,000 over the next two years.