Self-Start

In the past few weeks, a small but ever-expanding group of Dunster residents has been stirring up the morass of inactivity that has characterized the House system in recent years. Terming itself an "Extra-Curricular Affairs Committee," the Dunster organization is providing a basis for House clubs devoted to anything from rhumba to chess. The Committee acts as a headquarters for men who have these special interests, and engages others to act as informal instructors.

Such a spontaneous movement from the rank-and-file clearly indicates the popular demand to fill the social vacuum in the House system. The "idea" of the Houses--intellectual contact between faculty and students--suffered greatly when tutorial was beaten to its knees a couple of years ago. The companion theory that a House should bring students with common interests together, has also been almost submerged. Many of the difficulties arose from the war, and the Houses are only slowly feeling their way back to solid ground with such activities as the Eliot House seminars and the language tables at Adams House.

The Dunster Committee is tackling part of the House problem. The success of its venture so far suggests that greener fields lie ahead. If a dozen students will gladly give an hour or so a week to learn the finer points of bridge from a more proficient neighbor, then it is quite likely that other groups would gather for a competently directed discussion of existentialism or modern art. Resident professors and tutors could again mix with students on the informal House level. A fully developed program would do much to bring the long-dormant House plan to life again.