Bowling Alleys Must Close As University Ends Lease

Urgent Need for Office Space Prompts Action

Muffled rumblings of ten-pins and loud shouts of 'strike' will no longer fill the bowling alley next to Jim's Place on Dunster Street after April 1. The University owns the land, and has decided to cancel the lease granted seven years ago.

Desperate for office space, officials have decided to use the building for administrative purposes.

Vice President Reynolds could not reveal the exact nature of the offices that will be installed in the building, but did make clear that they would be hastily constructed and pressed into immediate service.

Time Has Come

He explained that the lease was granted under the conditions that it could be terminated at any date, and, added, that time has come.

The plot of land was originally rented from the University by the Boston Elevated Railway around 1840. The company built the two-story structure to hold hay and equipment for the horse-barns then located across the street.

After the first World War, when horse-drawn trolleys were finally junked, the building was purchased by several businessmen and completely rebuilt into a large cafeteria. Its present pale-red shutters and rusty-iron awning belie the former elegance of an eating place that fed over 2000 people a day.

Joseph and Henry Sacea, owners of the bowling alley, will take their equipment with them in hopes of soon setting up business somewhere else around the Square.