Captains Pace Yard Squads As Yale Finales Loom Close

As most varsity teams floundered in mediocre records, four freshman captains watched their teams practice yesterday for the final Yale meets will top-notch seasons behind them. Much of the credit for the season goes to the captains themselves.

Led by Captain Ed Smith at center, the Yardling quintet has already piled up a total of 13 wins and two losses. Smith, 6 ft., 4 in, tall, has been the consistent high scorer of the season.

Bob Berke, captain of the '51 swimming team, has more than equalled Smith's performance. Key man on a well knit team, Berke came to the College a first rate backstroker.

Has "Fish-Stuff"

Coach Bill Brooks, however, has converted him into one of the best freshman freestylers in the East. The powerfully built water boy has taken all comers in the 100 and 200 yard freestyle events, and as strong man in the freestyle relay has been practically invincible. "He has the real fish-stuff," says Brooks.

Andre Sigourney will lay a string of victories three years long on the mats against Yale this Saturday. The sturdy captain of the Yardling wrestlers, New England 155 pound champion in 1945 at Milton, returned from Marine Corps duty in China tougher than ever.

Shaw Returns to Ice

The only married man in the quartet of captains in Howie Shaw of the hockey team. After five weeks of illness, Shaw led the squad onto the ice against Dartmouth Saturday for a surprise 8 to 8 tie. Purely a defensive player, Shaw plays a steady, fast game.