AVC Opens School On Politics Today

Officials Expect 500 at Workshops To Learn How to Beat Boss Rule

The Harvard AVC chapter will try to teach voters how to get things done politically at its New England School of Political Action Techniques here today and tomorrow. School officials expect a student body of 500, many of whom are to come from the ranks or organized labor in Massachusetts.

Explaining the importance of political action, Robert Koblitz 2PA, chairman of of the school, said that "politics must be taken out of the dog-house and presented to the average citizen for what it is, a technique in itself neither good nor bad. The only remedy for what's wrong with American politics is more politics."

Because the school is intended to teach politics, not policies, speakers have been told that controversial issues should be mentioned, if at all, only as a frame of reference for the central discussion of political action techniques Tickets for the school are still available at the AVC offices in Phillips Brooks House.

Three Parties Take Part

According to AVC officials, this marks the first time that a large political action school has been conducted on a non-partisan basis. The school will draw upon the experience of professional politicians of the two mapor parties, as well as of some third party supporters.

Students will be divided into seven groups, each of which will attend 9 of the 12 workshops offered. Leaders of the workshops include Jerome K. Brunner, professor of Psychology, Doris Byrne, vice-chairman of the New York State Democratic Committee, Thomas H. Eliot '28, former Congressman from Massachusetts, and Marjorie Lansing. Director of the Massachusetts P.C.A.

Included in the school's curriculum are publicity and financing techniques, planning and running campaigns, and methods of influencing legislatures. The faculty will lay stress on ward and precinct organization, and political action through trade unions.