Conant Predicts No Russian War in Eliot House Speech

President Conant declared that in his opinion there will be no war with Russia as he spoke at the Eliot House dinner last night. Lloyd K. Garrison '19, Dean of the Wisconsin Law School, echoed his remarks, calling for "patience and a willingness to cooperate" to untangle the present Russian-U.S. misunderstandings.

Frequently drawing on General Marshall's now historic Commencement speech of last June, the President stated that the avoidance of snap judgments will be the key to smoothing any troubles ahead.

Garrison, long a key figure in the National Labor Relations Board, drew a parallel between the early stages of union organization here and in Britain and the present policy of the Soviet Union.

Urges UN Support

Pointing out the success of arbitration and a genuine wish to settle differences amicably in this field, he added that if we and the Russians can get together along these lines we may hope for a peaceful settlement of differences that seem to some almost too serious now for reconciliation.

His final proposal was for "continued support" of the UN as our best hope now for future world cooperation.