Gorman, Ray, and Ager Win Captaincies of Winter Teams

With the winter sports schedules now a closed affair, letter winners of three Varsity teams elected captains for 1948-49 and had their pictures taken for posterity yesterday. Jeremy W. Gorman '49 of Kirkland House and Shaker Heights, Ohio, was chosen swimming captain, Daniel B. Ray '49 of Winthrop House and Brooklyn, N. Y., was picked as wrestling captain, and John W. Ager, Jr. '49 of Kirkland House and Birmingham, Alabama, was elected to lead the fencers. James J. Tracy '50 of Eliot House and Shaker Heights, Ohio, was appointed swimming manager.

Gorman, who took the Eastern Intercollegiate 440-yard swim in 1947, has won his letter for the past two years and was one of the leading point makers on Hal Ulen's squad this winter. A prop school star and captain at the Shaker Heights High School, Gorman, who swam 220's this year until the E.LL meet last week, left College in the middle of the 1946 season to serve in the Navy. Last week he took third in the Eastern 440 championships.

Ray, a letterwinner in his past three years on the wrestling team, fills the 145-pound division and this year won 9 of 10 bouts in dual meets, reaching the quarter-finals in the Eastern Intercollegiates at Lehigh. The year before he was the team's high scorer. He captained the Poly Prop School team in 1945 and that year won the Lehigh Eastern prep school title and N. Y. Metropolitan Junior and Senior championships in the 121-pound class.

Ager, the fencing captain-elect, was high scorer of the squad this year while performing in the epee. He first took up fencing this fall but won a position on the Crimson team with little trouble.

The elections of Gorman, Ray and Ager leave only the basketball team without a leader chosen for the next snow season. Final decision from the quintet will not come until captain George Hauptfuhrer returns from the East-West game. Straus Cup Standing ELIOT  781 1/2 WINTHROP  745 LEVERETT  654 LOWELL  647 1/2 DUNSTER  633 KIRKLAND  616 ADAMS  529 DUDLEY  342 1/2