Adams' Food Best . . .

For Freshmen: Inside the Houses

You can sleep till Memorial Hall chimes ring and make your 9 o'clock class. You can eat the best food in the College as immense inter-house eating lines attest. You can swim in the only House pool. And you can test your attitude toward parietal rules against the challenge of a dozen unguarded gates. In short, almost everything prospective House residents want, Adams claims to have.

Adams men think their set-up has so much to offer that, to them, the only problem which arises is that of picking a room. Here, you have two choices: do you want a small room with a new shower, or do you want the largest rooms anywhere with a bath?

Unlike the other brash new Houses, Adams is an aggregating of two old and gaudy student apartment dwellings and one new structure that shelters the library and dining hall, all connected by elaborate tunnels. Housemaster David M. Little '18, Secretary to the University, resides in old Anthorp House, which is nestled snugly within the courtyard.

It is easy for the newcomer to fit into Adams' scheme of things. This House has the asset--if you consider it such--of being the most relaxed and un-self-conscious of all seven. It has to be. Within its nine entries are contained the representatives of almost every varsity of thinker, political and otherwise, in the country.

Left and Right

Reading from left to right, Adams flourishes as the center of a hardy HYD cell. It has, of course, a goodly number of middle of the readers, but the function chiefly to keep the left from becoming too over-conscious of the offenses of the right, and, conversely, to keep the right from the throats of the left. And the right is strong in Adams: it is second only to Eliot in club men.

When it comes to athletics, Adams takes a back seat, having experience a conspicuous lack of success in the past few years. But then this situation gives athletically conscious Yardlings the chance to get in on the ground floor of the projected revival. Perhaps 1948 will be the "next year" Adams House men have been "waiting till" for a long, long time.