Bouts Begin for House, University Titles as Pugilists Wind Up Rugged Training; Rodgers' Title in Danger

There's blood on the drinking fountains of the Blockhouse boxing room these days, as more than 70 ring tyros complete two and one-half months of instruction and hew themselves into shape for House and University championship bouts.

Semi-finals in the inter-House competition will be fought off today and tomorrow, with the eight finals scheduled for Friday evening at the I.A.B. Many of the same lads will battle for all-Harvard crowns Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, winding up the fistic series on Friday evening, March 12.

Coach Henry Lamar, who also grooms Freshman gridiron combinations, has been drilling Yardlings and upperclassmen daily since the Yale game in Fundamentals of Pugilism 1a, and predicted mentals of Pugilism 1a.

A few veterans of last year's fistic carnival will be in the ring this week and next. Tommy Rodgers, one-armed pile-driver who flailed his way to the 155-pound crown last spring, will be defending his laurels against what Lamar terms "a strong field."

Austic Lyne, University chance in the 145-pound class, is also expected to run into heavy fire in a group in which Jonny Spivak of dash fame and Don Albert of the Law School will also compete.

Particularly potent are the 130-pound contenders for the University crown. Lamar pointed out, explaining that Russ Hath, who appears sporadically in local exhibition contests, and Sophomore Eugene Sterret; who sparred in the service, are two of the Strongest men in a hard-hitting class.

Only two have thus far entered the unlimited lists, while a field of five, a including Hugh Smith, finalist in last year's contest, will take a creak a 165-pound honors.