House Tally Backs Ban On Red Teachers 81-21

Final Vote Due Today

Massachusetts' House of Representatives yesterday backed with an 81 to 21 vote a bill to prevent Communists from teaching in any Commonwealth school or college.

The measure submitted by the Comtee on Education, would ban from teaching or administrative positions any person convicted under the existing state sedition law. It would also impose a $1,000 fine or three years imprisonment on any violator of the Teachers' Oath Law.

At the same time, the House, after two hours of debate, killed an attempt to introduce a somewhat amended version of the Barnes Bill.

Schools New Safe

The chief difference between the measure which received a favorable vote and the Barnes Bill in that the latter places responsibility for detecting and removing Communists on school officials, while the former leaves all action to civil authorities and the courts.

A final vote on the Teachers' Oath-Sedition Law amendment will be taken in the House tomorrow. If the vote in favorable--and the size of today's vote indicates that it will be--the bill will go to the Senate for debate.

No University Move Expected

According to Massachusetts Hall sources, the University will take no action with respect to the new bill, since officials believe that defeat of the Barnes Bill has ended all serious threats to academic freedom.

Earlier this week, the House had rejected a measure to establish a "Little Dies Committee" on subversive activities.

Four University organization -- the College American Veterans Committee chapter, the Liberal Union, the Radcliffe League for Industrial Democracy, and the Student League for Industrial Democracy -- had conducted letter-writing campaigns against the Barnes Bill and the "Little Dies Committee" legislation.