Lavelli-Led Bulldog Quintet Invades Arena Floor Tonight

By Ronald M. Foster jr.

The Yale game, needless to say, is the climax of any athletic season in Cambridge, and tonight at 9:30 o'clock the basketball team will face in most important test. Scene of the action will be the Boston Arena, and if this evening's contest even comes close to matching the last two Harvard-Yale games in the St. Botolph Street ice palace, it may almost redeem a particularly frustrating season.

Just look at the record books: Last year the Elis, sparked by its perennial sensation. Tony Lavelli, pounded out a 60 to 38 upset victory in New Haven and came into the Arena primed for another triumph.

It was a tense, exciting game that saw the lead change hands again and again. With three minutes to go, Yale was five points ahead, then a great last-minute Crimson rally yielded a 46 to 42 win.

In 1946, the Arena held the same sort of excitement, when Harvard topplcd the Elis, 39 to 37.

Lavelli Back Again

This year neither team is any world-beater and the two lie together in the E.L.L. basement. But Yale still has Lavelli, and Lavelli has just about every scoring record in sight, and 21-points-a-game average.

In the two previous Arena dogfights, Crimson guards have kept him down to 13 and 14 points, and, if they can do it again tonight, another thrill-a-minute affair seems probable. HARVARD    YALE Rockwell  f  Lavelli Gannon  t  Nadherny Prior  c  Joyce McCurdy  g  Redden Brady  g  Peacock