Varsity Baseball Team Takes On Devens Today

Yardlings Tackle B.U. On Home Diamond

"The sun will have to shine pretty hard to dry the field," was Dolph Samborski's dour comment on the state of the weather last night as the Varsity nine prepared to try again in its scheduled game with Dovens here at 4 o'clock today. The Freshman will take on B.U. on the adjoining diamond.

Pitcher Ralph Hymans is due to get his first chance on the mound today for the Varsity. He was scheduled for work on the vacation trip, but the fates had nothing but wet grounds in store for him, as he was washed out in Philadelphia.

Charley Roche, regular leftfielder, will be held in reserve today for pitching, so Lennie Lunder will take over in that department, teaming with Chip Gannon and John Caulfield. Armie Essayan will continue to handle the pitchers.

Practically the same outfit that faced off against the Jayvees Tuesday will take the field for the Freshmen this after noon, weather, of course, permitting.

Right-hander George Emmons will pitch for the '51 forces, with Bill Rosenau on the receiving end. Ed Smith, Harry Cavanaugh, Hal Marshall, and Vin Morton will cavort in the infield.

In general, Coach Berg was satisfied with the Yardlings' performance against the stronger Jayvee squad. Although his charges were guilty of spotty base running and other "mental" errors, Berg stated that "they played better than I thought they would."