WSSF Fails to Hit Goal as Faculty, Grad Schools Lag

The "disgraceful response of the Faculty and graduate schools" has meant the failure of the WSSF drive, Samuel A. Robbins '46, Chairman of the food relief committee, charged last night, in revealing that the campaign had fallen almost $5000 short of its $20,000 goal.

Robbins calculations put the final figure at $15,033, of which $12,553 was donated by the College alone. "Despite the fact that we extended the drive for four days to give mall solicitations a chance to reach us, only four percent of the 6,000 graduate students and faculty members have even bothered to answer the appeal," Robbins explained.

He calculated the average College gift at $2.95, a figure that was "more than satisfactory," but refused to even estimate the average donation of these University members solicited by mail. "The figure would be absurd," he stated.

The committee, however, praised "the complete cooperation of the College." Except for Leverett and Lowell Houses, which were considered comparatively low, all the College donations were higher than originally expected. Dunster House was the pace-setter all the way, ending with an average gift of $4.39 per man.

Fund-raising for WSSF will still continue at the Business and Medical Schools under separate committees, but Robbins expressed belief that there would be little chance, ever unofficially, of hitting the goal unless there were marked changes in the response of the graduate schools and faculty.