Debaters Discuss UMT and Prices In Two Forums

Upholding Universal Military Training and attacking government price control, the Harvard Debate Council last night met opposition on two fronts, in a debate with William and Mary College and in an unjudged Boston University forum.

A discussion with B.U. on U.M.T. was staged in a broadcast performance from radio station WMEX, one in a series sponsored by the Charlesgate debaters. Peter H. Clayton '50 and Robert S. Hirschfield '50, defended the military measure against Lawrence Winston and Robert Serrio.

Debate Price Controls

The Eliot House Junior Common room was the scene of the price control controversy. In judged competition, Crimson debaters S. William Green '50 and Jerome Spunt '50 argued the winning debate, emphasizing that price control measures "unfortunately hit at the effect instead of the cause of the economic maladjustment." David Lindaurer and Don Kilgore, who won the individual award as best speaker, represented the affirmative side of the question.

On tour for a week, the William and Mary squad, has recently defeated both Princeton and Washington Universities.