I Remember Mama

At Keith Memorial

Because this story of an immigrant Swedish family in San Francisco has appeared in magazine, book, and play form, most people remember Mama well. But any initial familiarity shouldn't prevent a look at the screen version, for this West Coast cupboard saga profits from retelling. Remaining within the casual domestic confines of Kathryn Forbes' original story, Hollywood has wisely refrained from introducing any heartbreaking scenes to remind the audience that this is the most socko treatment so far. Instead, Mama and her family carry the yarn in terms of routine actions and the result is a mood picture of satisfying substance.

From the viewpoint of the eldest daughter, the affection of Mama for her family is a very real thing --and so it is presented. The plot closely approaches soap-opera funny business in places, but any hokum is carefully avoided by careful character delineation and a constant vote of the ridiculous. It is hard to believe that the family would remain convinced that Mama's imaginary bank account was real; but acceptance of this anyth is so credibly presented that it isn't questioned. Well selected close-ups of the children's faces enhance the authority of Mama; and her parental fast-ones are soon accepted as bona fide gospel.

The story is essentially Mama's courageous fight to bring up her kids, keep down her relatives, and make the money go around. Her fictitious bank account is a comforting (if non-existent) reserve, and next to Mama, the Bank is the most wonderful thing in life. Uncle is also wonderful (well-played by Oscar Homolka) for he tells off all the persnickety aunts; but he's somewhat terrifying and always drunk.

The individual vignettes of "Mama", spiced by imaginative camera angles and a constant shifting of perspective, are uniformly well-done. Irene Dunne is forced to concentrate on her Swedish enunciation--consequently, her tongue comes out of her cheek and her performance approaches the masterful. The aunts are also well-played but it is the excellent acting of the children that really carries the show. They all perform as if they really do remember Mama.