Yard Police Ticket Parkers

'Protecting Students,' Says Chief

By reaching into the pockets of chronic violators, the long arm of the University police forcibly has drawn attention to its new policy of enforcing ignored parking regulations and has added an extra item on many term bills.

Fines ranging from a lowly $11 to a staggering $55 are being handed out to car-owning students who break the regulation forbidding overnight parking on University property.

Police Chief Alvni Randall named carelessness of the students as the chief reason for the violations. Ordinarily a summons from the University police results only in a mild warning and an admonition to the student not to repeat the violation. Randall pointed out that the purpose of University enforcement is to protect the students from trouble with Cambridge police.

Robert Cobb '48, after delivering his $27 to the authorities, raised the question of the dispensation of the fine money. Dean Bender stated that the parking fines, like all University fine money, is turned over to the Student Beneficiary Aid Fund which gives aid to students in good standing who are unable to win scholarships and who need help.

Bender estimated that the parking fines will add between two and three hundred dollars to the fund.

Student reaction to the fines was one of injured innocence; admitting that he was wrong, Duncan Devereux '50 pointed apologetically to the long period during which parking was allowed.

Most violations were in the Eliot-Kirkland area which allowed regular route police to handle ticket distribution, but Randall said that plain-clothes men were often called to watch the offending cars during the day