Words of Warning

With electioneering becoming as hazardous hereabouts as holding down a Latin American government post, candidates may soon be narrowed down to a hardy few who dare brave all the dangers. But perhaps if they knew that the pre-election work is only the beginning even those few might turn to more desirable interests elsewhere. A case in point is the election of NSA delegates to be reheld on Monday. Those few who withstand the rigors of campaigning and become victors at the ballot box will face a long and gruelling career that would make even a history and lit concentrator blanch. Better that they know the worst now and that the voters also know the duties to which they are committing the men of their choice. Winning the NSA election is more than just winning a free trip to Madison, Wisconsin in September.

Madison looms large on the delegates' horizon, but there are many other duties that will raise themselves formidably both before and after the annual convention. No sooner will the hubbub of the vote die down than the Student Council will be upon them with a series of six or seven daily orientation meetings beginning Tuesday. Since the NSA delegates are also scheduled to represent the College at the Regional meeting on May 15, before that time they must absorb knowledge of all that the Council has done in the past year and plans to do in the coming year and also have acquired some specialty such as knowledge of international affairs or educational problems.

Thus the delegates will be steeped in statistics and policies about not only NSA and the Council past and future, but also concerning other organizations such as the International Union of Students and the World Student Service Fund before they are even out of the toddling stage. Then before, during, and after the Regional Conference they must also get in and paddle around with all the major and touchy issues that are apt to raise their heads at the Madison convention. When such an issue is brought up for discussion the local delegates should be prepared to plunge into the fray with as much knowledge and previously decided policy as any of the delegates there.

But the hard work does not end for the NSA delegates when the Madison convention has finished. Then they return, carrying with them the knowledge gained at Madison to take up their duties as members-at-large to the Council. There will also be two more Regional conferences to prepare for and participate in later on, but Council duties should keep them well occupied between times. The by then all-knowing delegates will be a bulwark in Council activities, for as experts in special fields they should participate in and chair Council committees. So when the voters go to the polls on Monday they should look for the men with the strong shoulders. Any candidate who already feels the ache between his shoulder-blades might better drop out now than be crushed under the load later.