'47-'48 Album Goes on Sale To All Classes and Faculty

Breaking a 40-year tradition, the 1947-48 Album Committee announced last night that copies of the book will go on sale to all members of the student body and Faculty. All previous annuals have been strictly confined to members of the graduating class.

The announcement, made by J. Anthony Lowis '48, co-chairman of the two-class yearbook, emphasized that the forthcoming volume will break sharply from tradition in presenting material that has appeal for everyone connected with the University.

Not A File

"Our album will be more than just a file for the two classes," the announcement stated. "It will be a record in pictures and words--424 folio pages in all--of Harvard College in war and peace."

These 424 pages will make the '47-48 Album the largest ever to be published by any class at Harvard.

In addition to the "illustrated and fully annotated history of the College under various stresses and strains since 1943," the book will feature the "customary but much more complete" resumes of sports, organizations, and activities. Among the departments is a survey of the College which reports Harvard opinions on a wide variety of "crucial" topics.

Another special feature of the '47-48 Album--one which committee members termed the most significant--will be the brand new Faculty section. "Instead of the aged engravings of Faculty members used in all previous books, there will be new pictures of almost all the men in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences," reported the board.

"The Committee went to great trouble and expense to bring the photo files up to date," said the editors, "and they will be of great help to succeeding Album editors, as well as of interest to readers."

The large number of pictures employed will also mark the '47-'48 Album, which put photographers throughout the College to work under the direction of Alfred M. Weisberg '47 to take the largest number of pictures to appear in any Album.

Going . . .

Business chieftains of the Album revealed that almost 1500 members of the Classes of 1947, and 1948 have signed up for their copies, and late orders from these groups are still coming in regularly.

Closing date for purchases is Saturday, May 15, the business board reported, adding that after that date the Albums will be available only at a premium. The CRIMSON Business Office, 14 Plympton Street, will handle all sales.