Varsity Rows Cornell Eight Here Tomorrow

By Bayard Hooper

The fact that the Crimson Varsity shell broke a course record in beating Princeton Saturday doesn't seem to be enough to give Tom Bolles much confidence about treating Cornell the same way tomorrow. Apparently you never know how your crew is going to perform the next time.

For one thing, it's not easy to size up your opposition. Comparative times mean very little, because weather and currents change from day to day and from course to course. For instance, no one at the boathouse is wringing his hands over the fact that Yale covered a mile-and-three quarters last Saturday in a minute's less time than the Crimson. The Elis were paddling down the Harlom River, as experience more nearly akin to shooting the rapids than rowing on a lake.

No one is wringing his hands over Cornell either, but there is plenty of quiet concern over the threat that the Big Red poses. For one thing, Cornell was the only boat to show its stern to the Crimson last year, and most of the same powerful assembly will be back tomorrow to try again. For another, Frank Collyer is reputed to be the best stroke to be sport himself on the waters of Lake Cayuga for many a long year. What's more, he's the nephew of the greatest stroke Cornell ever had, whatever that may signify. For a third, this crew has elready defeated Syracuse by a sizeable margin.

Galo Still Out

Harvard is in pretty good shape to meet this threat, although big Jud Gale will watch this one from the river bank also. The powerful number five oar put in an appearance on the river Tuesday for the first time in a week, but Bolles-figures the veteran oar needs more conditioning to work off his Stillman-induced paunch.

Bob Taggert will repeat at number five, leaving the starting line-up the same as last week.

Bolles put all four of his heavy eights and the first Freshman boat through a time-trial Wednesday, and although he did not consider the results sensational, the four-length gap between the Varsity and Jayvee shells looked imposing enough. The third boat trailed the Jayvees closely and were in turn hotly pursued by the Freshmen, who left open water between them and the fourth Varsity boat.

The Varsity's time was several seconds behind their Princeton stint, but the course--the same that will be rowed tomorrow--was upstream over the swiftly-running Charles, with a slight following wind roughing up the water.