Women Swarm Over Yard As '51 Jubilee Opens Today

Trolley Cars and Orchid Corsages

Suitcase in hand and frolic on the mind, 500 girls are flooding into Cambridge today as the giant Freshman Jubilee gets under way.

Hotels in Boston and Cambridge are packed, Memorial Hall is buzzing as a crew of Jubilee men put the final touch on the decorations for tonight's dance, and U-Dryvit-Cars around the Square are all sold out.

It is rumored that an ambitious crew of extroverts has hired one of Cambridge's trolley-cars for a jumbo predance party on the move. Others, less original, are poring over Massachusetts fire laws to see if beach party bonfires are legal.

20 Tickets Left

Meanwhile, the Jubilee Committee, in a last-second plan to dispose of the 20 tickets still unsold, announced that the dances would be opened to stags and one-night couples. "Stags can now buy tickets at the Union ticket booth during the day," Committee Chairman John T. Hazel '51 declared, "and single-night ducats will be available to couples at the doors tonight and tomorrow."

The weatherman predicts warmer weather for the weekend with just a suspicion of warm rain Sunday afternoon.

Weather Unimportant

"This threat will not hamper the program of the Jubilee,: said Hazel, pointing out that the only outdoor event was the Glee Club concert Friday evening on Widener steps. There are plans to move this to Sanders Theater in case of bad weather.

The rest of the program includes an informal dance from 9 to 1 o'clock tonight in Memorial Hall to the music of Fred Guerra and 13 stalwarts, a formal tomorrow in the Union with the musical assistance of Larry Green and Skip Towne and their orchestras, and a Band Concert Sunday afternoon. Yard room permission has been extended both nights until the dances begin.