Council Slates NSA Elections For April 15

Collegewide voting on April 15 will elect five delegates to attend the National Student Association annual convention in September, William D. Weeks '49, President of the Student Council, said last night. The Student Council finally reached agreement on election as the best method of choosing delegates before vacation after controversy had split the Council for two weeks.

Weeks also announced the appointment of four men to a screening committee that will select nominees for the ballot. They are: Edric a. Weld, Jr. '46, chairman; Ernest Howell '49; Francis D. Fisher '47; and Robert A. Koren '44.

During the discussion preceding the decision to hold an election, the Council had been divided almost evenly. One faction supported Council appointment of the delegates as the best method of obtaining capable delegates. The opposition claimed that election would stimulate student interest in NSA while equally capable delegates could be obtained as long as the screening committee offered a well qualified slate of nominees. The closeness of the Council split was indicated by the 8-6 vote in favor of the student body election with one Council member abstaining.

Weld said that his committee will meet for the first time this afternoon. He stressed the need for persons interested in serving as delegates to submit their qualifications as soon as possible. The screening committee will weigh the qualifications of each candidate and select a slate for balloting on April 15. Nominees may also be added to the election slate after the committee has made its recommendations by petitions bearing 50 signatures.

Weld stated last night: "The delegates selected at the coming election will make a tremendous difference to the Student Council and the student body next year. The ideas they bring back from the convention will have a direct effect on the functionings of the Council and will be worth only as much as the delegates the student body elects to send to Madison.