Crimson, Maryland Wind Up In 3-3, 13-Inning Deadlock

Connelly Lifted in 11th After Striking Out 11 Batters

By Bill Lewis, (Maryland Diamondback)

COLLEGE PARK, March 30--Harvard and Maryland battled to a 3 to 3, 13-inning tie today at Byrd Stadium. The Crimson had men on first and third with one out in the eleventh, but the next batter, attempting to squeeze in the run, popped to the pitcher, who doubled the runner off third.

The visitors drew first blood in the second frame on a home run by first baseman Wally Coulson over the newly-installed right field fence. They also tallied another marker in the same inning for an early 2 to 0 lead.

Finding the range in their half of the second, the Terps picked up one run on John Condon's line single to right, but Harvard came back in the top of the third for its final run of the day and a 3 to 1 lead. Ralph Beach made it 3 to 2 in the fifth when he clouted one over the new fence.

That's the way the game stood until the eight, when Bob Moeller singled, stole second and scored on pinch-hitter Wilson's one base knock. This run ended the scoring for the afternoon, and although the Terps threatened in each of the overtime frames, the necessary punch to drive in the winning tally was sadly lacking.

Darkness Stops Game

Harvard's Red Connelly, who gave way to Herb Merser in the eleventh, struck out the side in two successive innings. Relief pitcher Merser walked three men in his two-inning stint, but allowed no runs and no hits.

The game was called at the end of the thirteenth inning because of darkness.

Outstanding for the visitors, in addition to first-baseman Coulson, was catcher Clif Crosby, who banged out three hits in four official tries. HARVARD (3)   ab  bh  po  a  e Gannon, lf  6  0  3  0  1 Caulfield, rf  5  0  0  0  1 Kenary, cf  6  1  4  0  0 Coulson, 1b  5  2  10  0  0 Mannino, ss  5  1  4  4  0 Sullivan, 2b  3  0  3  3  0 Huntington, 2b  1  1  0  0  0 Coppinger, 3b  5  1  1  2  1 Crosby, c  4  3  10  0  0 Durant, c  1  0  4  0  0 Connelly, p  4  0  0  3  0 Merser, p  0  0  0  0  0   --  --  --  --  -- Totals  46  9  39  12  3