Eisenhower Gains Harvard Backing

An already complicated College political scene received two new facets of expression during vacation when Frederick D. Houghteling '50 and Stephen M. Schwebel '50 recently formed groups in support of Eisenhower and Vandenberg, respectively.

The latter campaign for in infancy, however, when Vandenberg telegraphed a negative reply to Schwebel's request to form a National Student league in support of the Michigan Senator's nomination. "I must emphatically request you not to proceed with the organization contemplated," his message road in part, "I am very sure I can best serve my country by completing my present tour of duty in the Senate."

Schwobel has dropped plans for any campaign as a result of the telegram.

Houghteling's announcement followed the lead of his cousins, Elliott and Franklin D. Roosevelt Jr., in backing Eisenhower for the Democratic nomination. The organization will seek chapters in "100 campuses in every state within the next ten days," under the National Chairmanship of Robert Boch of the University of Kansas.

Student and veteran leaders in Massachusetts, Illinois, North Carolina, New York, Ohie, California, and Kansas have already joined the group's organizing committee, Houghteling said.

Local plans for the group inlude a rally to be held sometime this week, in conjunction with other demonstrations throughout the country.

Roughteling described the newly-formed organization's supporters as "Democrats, but not Party-line Democrats. Henry Wallace, for all his personal sincerity, has domestic Communist bashing, and the things he advocates would in practice benefit the Soviet Union."