Temple Edges Crimson Nine As Trip Ends

By Albert J. Feldman

PHILADELPHIA, Pa., April 3--It was a comedy of errors at Temple Stadium this afternoon as Harvard's touring baseball squad ended its spring recess trip with an 11 to 10 loss to Temple University. Scheduled games with Delaware Thursday and Villanova yesterday were rained out.

Bill Connelly started for the Crimson but was relieved by Ira Godin in the seventh inning after Temple had pulled to an 8 to 3 lead. Godin was charged with the defeat when he walked in the tying and winning runs for the victorious Owls in the last half of the ninth after Harvard had rallied with a seven-run burst in their half of the frame.

A glaring sun and biting wind hampered both teams and treated a meager crowd to antics seldom seen on the baseball diamond. Infielders were unable to see balls thrown by the catcher, pitchers could scarcely see the plate, and fly balls were michievously blown out of the awaiting gloves of outfielders.

Crimson hitting was week, although the team was able to collect seven hits officially. Most of these, however, were of the scratch variety, and the real aids to run-scoring were the wildness of the pitchers and the vagaries of the weather.

Harvard battled Temple on even terms for the first three innings, before fielding and pitching suddenly fell apart. They dropped far behind their hosts until the ninth, when they batted around, combining three hits, including Webb Durant's double, four errors, and two walks for a seven-run barrage that wasn't quite enough.

The summary: HARVARD (10)   ab  h  po  a Gannon, lf  4  0  0  0 Crosby, c  3  0  9  0 Kenary, cf  1  0  1  0 Coulson, 1b  3  2  7  0 Caulfield, rf  2  0  0  1 Sullivan, rf  1  0  0  0 Mannino, ss  4  2  0  1 Huntington, 2b  4  0  3  4 Coppiner, 3b  4  0  1  1 Durant, c  2  1  4  0 Connolly, p  2  0  0  1 Godin, p  1  0  0  1   --  --  --  -- Totals  31  5  25  9

R  H Temple  2  1  0  2  1  2  0  1  2--11  12 Harvard  0  2  1  0  0  0  0  0  7--10  5