Flaming Steak Brings Ten Engines To Cronin's Smoke-Filled Beerhouse

A porterhouse steak for three burst into flames on the range at Cronin's early yesterday afternoon, and before the fire was put out ten fire engines and a crowd of over 200 people had gathered on the scene.

The stack, which was later served up and enjoyed by the tried, started a grease fire in the chimney above the stove. When the smoke began billowing out of the kitchen and over the bar into the main room, a customer sent in a general alarm, which brought the fire engines rushing.

As the firemen, aided by two hook an ladder squads which had just arrived on the scene, were laying several hoses down the main aisle. Tom Cronin, the bartender and Jim Haunegan, the cook, were taking turns shoveling ordinary table salt on the fire.

Fire Fighting Technique

This according to "young Jim" Cronin, is an old restaurant trick and is the only way to handle a grease five Water often produce on explosion.

Meanwhile, in the cashier's case in the front of the room. Helen Cronin was talking to a match salesman quite unconscious of the masses of heavy smoke pouring out of the kitchen.

She said later that the fire load cased no appreciable group of business.