College, Grad School, 'Cliffe Up Annual Tuition to $525

Buck Announces Rise Next Fall

Tuition in the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will mount to $525 a year starting next fall, Provost Buck announced last night.

His statement of the first undergraduate tuition hike in two decades followed a meeting of the Corporation yesterday to act on an estimated Faculty of Arts and Sciences deficit of $750,000 for the next academic year.

"Increased prices" and an enrollment reduction next year have made impossible further postponement of "the day when tuition must be increased," the Provost asserted.

He promised, however, in a separate statement, that "scholarship stipends in the College and Graduate School ... will be increased proportionately to meet the increase ..." Special application will not be necessary for scholarship adjustments, which will follow this pattern:

1. Most non-veteran scholarship-holders will automatically receive an additional $125.

2. Scholarships for veterans will rise to cover "that part of the costs of tuition and fees . . . in excess of veteran's benefits."

3. Commuters awarded half-tuition scholarships for 1948-49 will continue to receive one half of their tuition in scholarships.

4. Increases in scholarship awards will be made subject to financial need, according to normal University practice.

Current annual rates at other Eastern college are: Yale, $600 tuition plus $56 compulsory fees; Princeton, $600 tuition plus $60 fees; Cornell, $550 tuition plus $70 fees; Columbia, $600 plus feel; and Brown, $500 plus fees (subject to change). Current compulsory medical fees at Harvard are $30 a year.