Suffolk Edges Varsity, 5-4, In Practice Diamond Game

Eighth Inning Errors Yield Four Markers

By Charles W. Balley

Suffolk University should have been a dead pigeon for the Varsity baseball team. But a complete fielding collapse in the eighth inning and a persistent inability to hit solidly set up a 5 to 4 loss yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field.

The game, a practice contest not on the regular schedule, took place in an atmosphere of extreme cold. Ira Godin started for the Crimson and worked smoothly through his five innings, allowing two singles and no runs. Barry Turner, who took over, was loss fortunate as he gave up an immediate run in the sixth before the infield fell apart behind him.

Wally Coulson alone seemed to know the true worth of a bat. He singled hotly between first and second in the third to drive in the first run, and then dropped a clean liner into right over second base his next time up in the sixth. Charley Roche and Armie Essayen, the other locals to collect two safeties apiece, got one each on scratch hits.

Coulson's single in the third, Essayen's infield hit and two wild pitches in the seventh gave the Crimson a 2 to 1 margin going into the last two innings. This meant little, however, when Turner, Roche, and shortstop Ernie Mannino neatly sandwiched errors around two singles and a double in the eighth to allow four Suffolks to score.

John Caulfield doubled in the ninth to score Turner--on second after on error and a Roche scratch hit. The only othtr power forthcoming was a long fly which brought Roche home, but left the Crimson still one run short.

The summary: HARVARD (4)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Roche, cf  5  1  2  2  0  1 Caulfield, rf  5  0  1  2  0  0 Sullivan, lf  2  1  1  0  0  0 Gannon, lf  3  0  0  0  0  0 Coulson, 1b  4  0  2  8  0  0 Mannino, ss  4  0  1  3  2  1 Huntington, 2b  3  0  1  3  2  0 Coppinger, 3b  3  0  0  1  2  1 Essayen, c  4  1  2  8  3  0 Godin, p  2  0  0  0  3  0 Turner, p  1  1  0  0  0  1 Totals  36  4  10  27  12  4

R  H  E Suffolk  000  001  040--5  7  2 Harvard  001  000  102--4  10  4