Eldredge Cops Darcey Sculling Cup

Rain, Fog Cloud Keen Oar Competition

By David G. Brasten

The Darcey Cup fell to Joseph L. Eldredge '45 3G.S.D., who beat out a field of three senior scullers in the climax event of Blake Dennison's Singles Regatta Friday afternoon.

Drizzling rain was little help to the competing oarsmen, who turned in creditable performances nevertheless. Coach Dennison pointed out that in none of the races except the wherry derby was the margin of victory greater than three boat lengths.

R.F. Bath, Jr. '50 won the penultimate race in the 155-pound class. The Junior Singles event was run off in a thick fog, and reliable reports of the winner have yet to filter up from the river bank.

Issue in Doubt

When ex-funnyman Charles A. "Muddy" Rheault, Jr. announced his decision to retire from active competition after his performance Friday, the guesswork was narrowed down to E.N. Carpenter, E.M. Pope, Jr., and three men named Livingston.

The Novice Singles winner was R. Savarit sL, while in the Compromise class L.L.B. Allen '50 was first, closely followed by Henry Clay ocC.

R.G. Wilmot '51 carried off the water-flecked laurels in the wherry race, pushing his mahogony-stained ark across the finish line six lengths ahead of Shem, Ham, and Japheth, who were rowing as a team with two of every kind of oars.

Dunster Recriminates

Meanwhile, repercussions from the recently completed interhouse crew competition were still rattling around the ancient Weld Boathouse, as the ill-fated Funster eight sought some explanation of why they floundered so helplessly through their four heats last week.

"It was that gahdam cox," was the implausible alibi of C. Colby Hewitt, Jr. '49, spokesman for the crew. "Not only did he weigh 149 pounds, but he was dragging his foot too. I was pulling the whole gahdam boat as it was, but that was just too much," he snarled.