Students Garner Over $1000 In Bowdoin Literary Contest

Three students hit the jackpot in the University's store of prizes, netting over $1000 for winning essays in the annual Bowdoin contest, it was announced yesterday.

They are Jerome Patrick Gavin '50 of Adams House and Los Angeles, who won the undergraduate first prize of $500; Carl Ray Woodring 3G of Cambridge and Edward Hoagland Brown '41 3L of Cambridge and Deal, New Jersey, who split the graduate award and gleaned $300 apiece.

Gavin's dissertation was titled "This Bright Red Flower: A Critical Discussion of the Stories of Katherine Mansfield." Woodring wrote on "William and Mary Howitt: An Essay on Fame," while Brown discussed "Law in the India of Sir William Jones: A Starting Point for the English Historical School of Jurisprudence."

Second prize among the undergraduates went to Roger Gerhard Newton '49 of Leverett House and Buffalo, New York, for an essay on "The Principle of Causality in Modern Physics." He received $300.

Norman Friedman '48 of Andover Court and Brooklyn, New York, took a $100 third prize for "The Poetry of E. E. Cummings."

Honorable mentions went to John W. McNulty '48, Warren W. Furth '49, Harry H. Eckstein '46, and Otto A. Friedrich '48.