Tennis Squad Takes On Elis In New Haven

By Douglas M. Fouquet

A Yale match can make or break any Varsity squad's season, and this afternoon in New Haven, the success of this year's tennis team will be hanging in the balance when the Crimson goes against an unbeaten Eli squad, rated by many observers as tops in the East.

Despite the Varsity's current skein of nine victories in the ten matches since the early southern tour, the team will definitely be the underdog. The Blue squad is stocked with nationally-ranked tournament players, who appear on paper far superior to what the Crimson can offer.

Captain Ted Backe, who leads his mates into the Yale fortress, will have a hot time on his hands when he meets the Eli number one man, Rolar Ray. As far back as 1943, the Yale captain ranked as the number five junior in the nation.

Another big factor on the Yale side is depth. Almost all of the Eli players are in keeping with previous post-war New Haven net strength. The Crimson, on the other hand, boasts comparatively little experience.

In the companion match, the Freshmen also face their Yale counterparts and, according to comparative records of the two squads, should come out on top. The Crimson first-year men have taken all nine of their official matches, while the Bulldogs have hardly been tested against four local prep schools.