Lacrosse Team Falls, 7-5 Before Late Yale Rally

By Donald Carswell

The varsity lacrosse team was a first half club yesterday afternoon; it let a late Yale surge erase its slim one-goal lead, and go on to take a 7 to 5 decision. On an adjoining field George Hanford's freshman players found themselves on the short end of a 5 to 3 score.

The Crimson jumped off to a one goal lead in the first period. Dick Bezanson and Captain Hans Estin sank goals, as the varsity dominated the play.

Five minutes into the second chukker, the rains came. A verliable cloudburst, which at one stage made the goalies invisible from the middle of the field, transformed the ground into a quagmire. But lacrosse games don't stop unless either one team is collectively struck by a lightening belt or something equally drastic occurs, so the contest continued despite the downpour.

Rains Torrential

The unexpected showers wreaked havoc with the Crimson lacrosse sticks; water shrunk the leather thongs in them and made accurate passing and shooting virtually impossible Still, at halftime the varsity led 4 to 3.

Maybe somebody doped the Yale squad between the halves, because they surged out of the Field House an inspired group. The Crimson, whose dressing room was further afield, ducked out for the last half from under the caves of a nearby structure wet and bedraggled.

Those last two periods were all Yale. The Eli racked up three scores in the third stanza and added another for good measure in the fourth. Estin got the only second half Crimson goal. The summary: Periods  1  2  3  4 Harvard  2  2  0  1-5 Yale  1  2  3  1-7