Student Poll Reveals Trend To 'Liberal Republicanism'

Five months before the November Presidential elections, the College has a tendency toward a political creed of "Liberal Republicanism," a poll of a cross-section of the student body released yesterday by the Free Enterprise Society shows.

No avowed candidate for the Presidential nominations of either Party received a favorable majority in the survey, but Stassen led the list of possible White House residents with 24 percent supporting him. Vandenberg and Eisenhower followed closely, with Henry Wallace boosted by 6.5 percent and President Truman backed by 4.4 percent.

The survey, conducted for the Society by W. Blanchard Lynn '45 1G, asked over 550 students in the College for their views on politics and international and domestic policies. Its sponsors claim that the group is a near-perfect representation of the student body.

Profits Too Big

Monetary policies of the Administration received support in the poll. Profits of business were generally considered too large, and pollees favored no large-scale reduction in taxes, with a slice advisable only after all government commitments have been accounted for.

Student veterans in the poll favored some form of Universal Military Training legislation, but only 44 percent of non-veterans thought it desirable. Party considerations played no part in the views. Wallaceites opposed the training measures strongly.