University WSSF Drive Nets $16,500

Per capita contributions of over four dollars for each student in the College enabled Harvard to lead the country for the second straight year in the World Student Service Fund Drive, Chairman Samuel M. Robbins '45 disclosed last night.

A grand total of $17,200 was collected, and, with a low four percent operating cost, the combined check turned over to Regional Secretary Mrs. R. C. Williams was $16,500. Most of this sum went to the previously "adopted" universities of East Punjab, Peking, Heidelberg, and Athens, as well as the Salzburg rest center.

Individual donations, however, were sometimes carefully earmarked, vaguely as in the case of five dollars for "some Russian institution" and more specific choices such as $1.67 to Heidelberg "to be used for dueling swords." One benefactor specified Yale.

In addition to the large cash turnover, Robbins' figures indicate that 22,120 pieces of literature had been distributed throughout the entire campaign.

Of all the Houses, Dunster led the field with 92 percent of the 372 men coming through for average gifts of $5.04. Dunster raised a $1,686 total, compared with runner-up Eliot's $1,591.