Crimson-Eli Net Team Tackles British in July

Match With Oxford-Cambridge Revives Prentice Series

By Douglas M. Fouquet

One of the greatest intercollegiate tennis events comes out of a seven-year wartime hibernation this summer, when combined Harvard-Yale and Oxford-Cambridge teams meet each other in the renewal of the biennial Prentice Cup competition on the turf courts of the Newport Casino, Rhode Island.

Last played in 1939, the matches will be revived some time in July, although no set date has yet been announced by the Eastern Laws Tennis Association, which came out with the news this Tuesday. The International series started in 1921, when Bernon S. Prentice '05 put the trophy in competition "to foster international good will."

Present arrangements have the Britishers bringing along a four-man squad, led by Guy B. Jackson of last year's Irish Davis Cup aggregation. The Harvard and Yale players will split the four team spots, according to the traditional pre-war slate.

Harvard Personnel Set

Crimson Coach Jack Barnaby last night indicated that he would send Ted Backe, team ace and captain, along with number five man Bud Ager to the Newport competition. Previous summer commitments of the Varsity's two, three, and four men will prevent their play.

No news has yet issued from the New Haven tennis stronghold as to the Eli side of the personnel, though preference will go to Ed Ray and Jack Geller, if they are available. Ray and Geller top the powerful Building squad, which is composed largely of tournament stars.

Britishers Unknown

All four of the Britishers rank as unknown quantities. The factor which seems to favor the Americans is the severe disruption of English tennis felt during the war. "While our squad boasts no national champion, we don't suspect many a British star is kicking around nowadays," says Barnaby.

Barnaby was high on both the Crimson representatives on the H-Y unit, pointing especially to Backe's nine-and-five record against eastern top-notchers. Ager made an even better showing, but his lack of tournament play and dearth of experience on grass courts will be a handicap.

The Prentice series, which was an annual affair before 1925, when the alternate-year plan was adopted, has gone the Americans' way in seven of the 12 meetings. In 1939, three stalwart Crimson stars paced the Harvard-Yale forces to a decisive victory in England.