Nine Professors Become Emeriti As College Lists Annual Retirements

Lamb, Merrill Step Down

Nine professors will pull up stakes this summer and join the ranks of the emeriti.

They are: Wallace B. Donham '98, George F. Baker Professor of Administration; Dr. Alexander Forbes '04, professor of Physiology; George S. Forbes '02, professor of Chemistry; Arthur B. Lamb '05, Erving Professor of Chemistry; Elmer D. Merrill, Arnold Professor of Botany; Clyde O. Ruggles '09, professor of Public Utility Management and Regulation; Paul J. Sachs '00, professor of Fine Arts; Donald Scott '00, Peabody Professor of American Archaeology and Ethnology; and Frederick W. C. Lieder, associate professor of German.

University Announces Retirements

All nine men are included under the University's annual spring retirement policy.

Professor Lamb designed the Mallinckrodt Laboratories and the Radcliffe Chemical Laboratories, and served at Washington in nitrogen-fixing experiments. For the past 30 years he edited the Journal of the American Chemical Society and supervised the administration of chemical laboratories.

Internationally Known

Formerly director of the New York Botanical Gardens, Professor Merrill is an internationally-noted expert in Philippine and Far Eastern plant life. He spent 20 years in the Philippines as a teacher and government botanist, and came to Harvard in 1935.

Professor Sachs has been a full professor since 1927 and also retires as associate director of the Fogg Art Museum. After World War II he represented America's universities on the commission that returned Geering's art booty to its rightful owners.

Peabody Director

Until last month, Professor Scott was director of the Peabody Museum. He came to the University after 15 years in the New York publishing business.

Professor Donham was dean of the Business School until 1942, when he switched over to a teaching post. He has organized and given a course in Human Relations under the General Education program, and will continue teaching this subject next year at Colgate.

Professor George Forbes has taught here longer than any of the other retiring men, having joined the faculty in 1905. His namesake, Professor Alexander Forbes, has been at the University since 1910.

Professor Lieder has edited several German textbooks; Professor Ruggles was a dean of the College of Commerce and Administration at Ohio State before coming here