Quaker Summer Seminars Get Mason and Kluckhohn

Ten summer schools will spring up across the United States this year with a new kind of curriculum: the teaching of world peace.

Cambridge's Quaker House has issued a call for students at these seven-week "International Service Seminars," where college men from all over the world convene to "learn together, live together, and serve together." Edward Mason, Dean of the Public Administration school, and Clyde K. M. Kluckhohn, professor of Anthropology, have been signed for the Seminars' faculties.

The schools hope to show students how they can aid lasting peace. Members join in discussion groups and hear lectures on sociology, economics, history, politics, and their relation to world understanding. Special guests fill in the evening meetings and panels.

Living Together

Students also live together and help with cooking, cleaning, and other housework. Afternoons are free for hiking, swimming, committee meetings, baseball games, and local fiestas.

In this way, the sponsoring American Friends Service Committee hopes students will "make new friendships with peoples from many lands, which cut across barriers of race and nationality."

Service Seminars will be run this season from Maine to Oregon, with four located in New England. Application for any of the seminars may be made through the Quaker House at 5 Long-fellow Park, with preference going to graduate students and men interested in world peace.

Tuition, board, and room for the summer runs up to $138, but scholarships are available.