Vacation Exodus Produces Ghost Town in Cambridge

Harvard men are not exactly furry rodents with whiskers and the City of Cambridge never floated--not even its assets--but by Saturday evening all such subtle distinctions will be forgotten. Cambridge will be as bare of students as the Titanic was of rats.

The overly literary simile ends right there, however. You don't have to look for a Pied Piper to explain this exodus. All you have to do is leaf through the calendar, and let your eyes light on May 29. What does it suggest?

Sunny Florida? Moonlit nights? You name it and Cambridge hasn't got it. According to an impartial survey taken last night at Harry's Arcade Spa and George's, the only thing departing students will miss are the pinball machines. Several states ban them.

Shears Growing Rusty

But the pinball industry is not the only one affected by the vacation migration. The barbershop trade is another. The Yalies may tell you that Harvard men never take haircuts, but they're wrong. It takes considerable skill to give that moss-grown look to pate after pate, and Cambridge barbers have it. They'll have to forget it until fall, however.