Indians' Second Half Attack Downs Lacrosse Team, 14-3

By Donald Carswell

A gargantuan Dartmouth midfield squad broke loose in the third period of Saturday's lacrosse game, scored seven times, and handed the Crimson Varsity its second league loss of the season, this one by a 14 to 3 count.

Bob Maddux' first midfield stalked their Dartmouth foes gamely all afternoon, but never could quite catch up. The Indians were given instructions to dodge and they did it with a monotonous efficiency which added up to 14 tallies.

It would have been more except for the play of goalie Dick Bernard. Bernard was nothing short of sensational; he made 31 saves, some of them almost incredible, and this total doesn't even include the horde of shots that were wide of the nets. Throughout the second half, Bernard played with a battered foot which, although X-rays showed no breaks, will keep him sidelined for a week.

Estin Scores Twice

Other Crimson stars were Don Louria and Captain Hans Estin. Louria handled the difficult task of shadowing Dartmouth's Bob Merriam with competence, and Estin scored two of the three Crimson tallies.

But Dartmouth had a guy named Scully in their first midfield. He dodged his Crimson counterparts time after time to become the proverbial extra man. "Scully beat us," said Coach Maddux.

Bob Maddux shook up his midfield lineup for the game, putting Don Page, Algy Allen, and Bob Lang in the starting berths. He constructed a second "offensive midfield" out of Dave Abbot, Austie Lyne, and Paul Davidson and used them to spell the first three.

On an adjoining field, George Hanford's Freshmen pulled an upset by scalping the Indian freshmen 6 to 4. Dick Hansen was brilliant in flattening Dartmouth attack star Smitty Smith every time he leaped into the air for a shot.

The Jayvees were left waiting at the alter Saturday when the Boston Lacrosse Club's errant second team failed to appear according to schedule. But Coach Eddie Davis remained undaunted by this turn of events, held a brief practice session, and came up with a game with M.I.T. here this afternoon