Varsity Stickmen Favored In Tilt With M.I.T. Here Today

Just about everybody who can wield a stick will be playing lacrosse this afternoon. The varsity is tackling M.I.T. here at 4 o'clock, the Jayvees are prefacing the main event with a contest against the Narragansett Lacrosse Club slated for 3 o'clock, and the Freshmen are meeting Andover away.

The lacrosse team will be operating without the services of their ace netminder, Dick Bernard, but Coach Bob Maddux hopes that Algy Allen, last year's goalie, will not be too rusty in the slot. Davidson has been elevated to a starting berth as Allen's replacement in the first midfield.

M.I.T.'s lacrosse forces have had a dismal season so far, not the least depressing part of which was their 21-2 loss to Dartmouth. But the Techmen have always had a hidden desire to push their Cambridge cousins even further up the Charles River than Harvard Square. Last year they extended the Crimson by collecting six goals, and in '46 dropped a squeaker 10 to 9.

Eddie Davis dispatches his J.V. squad tomorrow to meet a band of lacrosse enigmas from Providence, R.I., the Narragansett Lacrosse Club, made up predominantly of students at Brown University, which has no team.

Andover provides a none too strong opposition to George Hanford's freshman stickers, who now have a 5 and 1 record.