$10 Million Charles River Lab Waits for Senate Nod

Army Likes Hub Weather

A $10,000,000,000 Army research laboratory to be known as the "Institute of Man" will rise on the banks of the Charles in the near future, if Georges F. Doriot, professor of Industrial Management at the Business School and Earnest A. Hooton, professor of Anthropology, can convince the Senate that the Boston area is the best site for the project.

The center is designed to coordinate its activities with almost every scientific department in the University. The research program, currently being carried out on a smaller scale by the Quartermaster Corps in Lawrence, will "study the problems of man related to his environment," Professor Hooton stated yesterday. The Army is interested in problems such as temperature, humidity, and climate, and their effect on Army equipment and on men, he explained.

College, Weather Attractive

The main attractions of the Boston area are the proximity of numerous universities and colleges whose facilities could be used by the Army and the wide extremes of New England weather which can approximate conditions almost anywhere in the world, Professor Hooton explained.

A bill appropriating funds for the center passed the House last fall, but objections raised by the City of Cambridge to a location near the Cottage Farm Bridge as well as bids from Philadelphia for the settlement of the Institute there have snarled the measure in the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Professors Back Boston

Professor Hooton said yesterday that he had sent Connecticut Senator Raymond E. Baldwin, a member of the committee, a letter urging the Hub location. Professor Doriot has been backing the Boston site in hearings in the committee chamber. Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14 has also joined the movement to keep the project in New England.

Himself a member of a Quartermaster Corps sub-committee on environmental problems, Professor Hooton predicted that the laboratory, should it be approved, will work with the Medical and Public Health Schools.

It will also cooperate with the Departments of Anthropology, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and with Geographers still in the University, M.I.T., and in other universities. Ex-Brigadier General GEORGES F. DORIOT, professor of Industrial Management, who is currently in the fight to establish the "Institute of Man" in Cambridge.