Board Rates May Jump Next Term

Final Word Due During Autumn, Reynolds States

Board rates could conceivably join tuition and rent in their upward march next fall, Administrative Vice-President Reynolds indicated yesterday.

"If the current trend continues," Reynolds declared, some form of boost in board rates will become necessary. As an example of the conditions which led to his prediction, Reynolds pointed to the current strike of moat-packing workers, which he thought might end in a rise in meat prices following a possible wage increase for the striking workers.

Overhead May Rise Too

A probable rise in the overhead expenses involved in running the undergraduate dining halls next year would also contribute to a board hike, according to Reynolds.

Since the extent of these factors tending towards a jump in board rates cannot be estimated accurately at the current time, Reynolds said that any increase could not be announced to students until the beginning of the Fall term. Nor will its extent be known until that time, Reynolds stated.

No Profit

The jump in food costs to students will not be to produce a "profit" for the Dining Halls Department, Reynolds declared. "Our effort in the dining halls is to come as near as possible to breaking even," he said.

The last previous increase in board came on August 22, 1946, when University Business Manager Aldrich Durant '02 announced a jump from $10.50 to $11.50 per week in board rates.

The increase at that time came when the Dining Halls Department showed a loss for the previous year of $65,000, and when food prices were skyrocketing as a result of the demise of the Office of Price Administration at Congressional hands.