Phi Beta Kappa Names 74 Students; Oration, Parade Mark Ceremonies

Ethridge Gives Plant of U.S. Unity, Stability

A pelting rainstorm failed to halt the tradition-clad ceremonies of the Harvard Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa Monday morning, and the annual business meeting, literary exercises, and luncheon duplicated scores of similar occasions in the chapter's 172-year history.

Mark F. Ethridge, publisher of the Louisville Courier-Journal and Louisville Times delievered the annual Oration, "The United States as a World Power" and British poet Stephen Spender read a new poem, "Speaking to the Dead in the Language of the Dead" in the Senders Theater festivities.

Pease Elected President

These exercises followed the hallowed march (led by red-coated fife and drum corps) from Harvard Hall, where Arthur S. Pease '02, Pope Professor of Latin, was elected president of the society to succeed Ralph Lowell '12.

Ethridge pointed to the United States as the "trustees of both the physical and ideological forces of Western civilization." But he declared that we must approach this trusteeship with modesty, with a new stability, a new stability, a new guiding philosophy.