Stay Loose

A Freshman is a sometime thing. You eventually get over it. In the next few days that fact will be your only comfort in a buzzing confusion of headaches and heartaches. Most of your discomfiture will stem from two sources: (1) living accommodations and (2) course selection.

(1) About 200 Freshmen are living in the gym now. This is unfortunate, but it is something that has happened to the two freshman classes before yours. It never lasts past the middle of October. In your ancient Yard dormitory cubicle, you may consider your self only slightly more fortunate. The high, narrow rooms may cramp you and the squeaking floors disturb your study. But remember, next year you will probably move into the much newer and more luxurious Houses along the river. Even as incipient carnal knowledge, the best course of action towards the housing situation is to relax and enjoy it.

So long as you do not live in a house you will eat at the Union. There is undoubtedly worse food around than the food dished out here. You can use that for whatever cheer it might afford. Even next year the food won't be much better. If you have any suggestions along the culinary line the Student Council will be glad to handle them. The University will also be glad to ignore them.

(2) Freshman advisers have been known to offer advice. Some of it has even been of use. But there is a reliable betting establishment that will offer odds of five, two, and even that such will not be the case with your freshman adviser. In any event choose your courses with a certain amount of humility. You have a lot of time before you make up your final course list. Don't be dogmatic about the choices you listed today. Shop around. If you find something that you like better, you can change your course without charge before October 19.

The wisest thing to do is to get rid of your distribution requirements in the freshman year. That way, you will have a whole year to make up your mind about a field of concentration. General Education courses will both satisfy distribution rules and help you select your future field.

The first of your four years will be the most confused. There is never enough time to do everything you have planned. By your sophomore year, however, you should have learned to separate the important from the unimportant activities--and thus to cut the right corners. You will find that most people, both in the student body and the faculty, are understanding. But nobody around here is going to take you by the hand. The College is trying to build what President Conant calls "the tough-minded idealist." So make your own way and learn to like it.