Touch Football and Tennis Tournaments Feature Huge Intramural Sports Program

At least two touch football leagues and five tennis tournaments are open to the Class of '52 as part of the University's largest peacetime intramural program.

Intramural competition, based on a dormitory vs. dormitory basis, will replace the required three weekly physical training credits for freshmen, Dolph Samborski, director of Intramural Athletics, said last night.

Each Yard house will enter at least one team in the touch football leagues, with the larger dormitories, such as Wigglesworth and Thayer, contributing two or more separate entries.

Several tennis tournaments will determine individual dormitory champions. If the officials receive too few contestants from any one group, the competition will be extended to include other dormitories.

A second string freshman football team, with several outside games, is also included in the intramural schedule, according to Samborski. In order to handle all those cut from the regular freshman football team, Samborski has so far arranged four outside contests. This two squad procedure has been tried over the past few seasons and is now an accepted part of University athletics.

Intramural freshman programs continue through the winter and spring. Basketball, swimming, and squash complete the winter schedule. Softball leagues, and further tennis competitions will be held in the spring term.

Upperclassmen living in the Houses will compete in the intramural program in their usual House vs. House league. Eliot House last year won the coveted Straus Trophy for piling up the most points in intramural sports over the 1947-48 academic year.